Monday, May 23, 2011

Actual Dead Island Gameplay Footage


So here is some actual gameplay from the upcoming Dead Island.  Similar to Dead Rising in it's open worldness and Left 4 Dead in that it is a first person shooter.  I think it looks like fun, and when he was talking about the fast travel he said the island is so huge that if you tried walking it would take you forever.  I don't know about you, but that's a great thing to hear when on the subject of open worlds.

I'm a fan of the more melee style gameplay.  I never understood why just because the world ended your character suddenly became an expert marksman and there were tons of guns lying around everywhere.  Seriously, as much fun as I had playing Left 4 Dead there are only a handful of places I would expect random piles of M-16's lying around (Baltimore, I'm looking at you), and I certainly wasn't expecting it at a carnival.  Plus, this is an island resort...why would there be a surplus of military weapons?  There wouldn't be.  So you use a baseball bat.  Word to the wise though - dude uses nails in his bat.  Nails stick.  Last thing  you need is not to be able to pull your weapon out of a shattered skull when ZED is on your tail.

I'm also all about a fatigue system.  Just because you need to be in good shape to survive the ZA doesn't mean you can mow down an entire island of ZED.  Stop, take a break, smell the roses, and the corpses I suppose...

Four player is another bonus.  I thought one of the biggest downfalls, as did a lot of people, to Dead Rising is the lack of multiplayer, even in the second one.  While I still haven't decided on whether or not I'll be picking this game up (slapping ZED on a box just isn't enough), if the reviews are good, multiplayer might be the deciding factor.

Anyway, enjoy, and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment